Saturday, May 01, 2004

TEEN TO TEEN: Getting Out of the Gutter by Sarah Nutter

Mmmm, he’s such a good kisser. I could stay lip-locked with him forever. Oh, man, now he’s kissing my neck. This is heaven. Now he’s…wait. WAIT! STOP!! TOO FAR!! But it feels so good…and yet…no…DON’T!! But it can’t be helped. I just had sex.

Is this scene familiar? Let me introduce you to the thought life of virtually every single teenage girl. We’re so ready for the big three letter word that we can’t help but think about it. Too bad we have to wait until we’re married… but that seems so far away! Ugg.

We often think of “sexual immorality” in terms of physical acts of lust. We’re doing just fine in that aspect, right? Especially those of us who are single. No chance we can slip up physically.

But what about mentally? In physics class, how many times do you undress the guy sitting across from you in your mind? Do you ever think to yourself, DID God accidentally give me the hormone dosage that guys get?

Lust is a part of our sin-nature. We’re at the age where every time we see a gorgeous guy, we automatically wonder if he’s a good kisser. It’s a habit. It seems like the minute we say, “Ok, I’m done thinking about Mark Stone,” we go right back to kissing him in our minds. I mean, it’s all well and good if you’re thinking, “My, that Mark Stone, such a nice young man. His thoughts on nuclear warfare are truly inspiring.” But, see, most of the time our thoughts go to a place that is bad, bad, bad.

Brace yourselves; this will make you squirm: Psalm 94:11a says, “The Lord knows the thoughts of man.” WAIT!! Does that mean He knows our lustful “guy” thoughts, too? HOW EMBARRASSING!! If you’re like me, you’re thinking, Ok, wow, I need to clear up some major stuff with the Man upstairs tonight. And I need to get rid of these thoughts. Now!

Umm, it would help if I knew how.

Matthew 15:19a says, “For out of the heart come evil thoughts.” Out of the heart? What are we supposed to do about that?

For starters, we can evaluate our heart’s desire. Every time you think the word “marriage,” do you automatically imagine the physical part that’s shared between only you and your future husband? Or do you imagine a man buying you ice-cream and holding your hand as you walk through the park?

If it’s a huge problem in your life, then take up a hobby that requires your full attention. Guitar. Soccer. Anything to get your mind in the right place. And, as always, reading the Bible helps too. Look to God and He’ll get you out of the gutter.

PRAYER:
God, I know my lustful thoughts aren’t pleasing to you, and I’m so sorry. But I don’t want to think those things. Please help me to think only on things that honor You.

No comments: